Information and Referral
MILCB responds to requests for information on disability related topics, services and area resources.
- Identify educational resources for parents of children with disabilities
- Locate home health services (i.e. Personal Care Attendant services, durable medical equipment suppliers)
- Assist with finding accessible affordable housing
- Locate specific organizations related to living independently
Independent Living Skills Training
MILCB offers training to those who need to build independent living skills.
- Finding accessible housing
- Managing a personal care attendant
- Assisting with credit repair or creating a budget
- Job readiness, preparing a resume, developing interviewing skills
- Accessing specialized transportation for persons with mobility impairments
With both Individual and Systems advocacy, MILCB promotes the interests of persons with disabilities for better access to community services. MILCB advocates for programs and policies to continually improve the quality of services available.
- Assisting parents to understand and navigate Special Education programs (i.e. IEP meetings, parent/student rights)
- Understanding tenant/landlord rights
- Revision of policies for the removal of discriminating practices
- Understanding ADA compliance laws
MILCB’s emphasis on peer role modeling in independent living reflects a belief that people with disabilities can greatly benefit from the perspectives and support of others with disabilities who lead productive and meaningful lives in their communities.
- Helping people with new disabilities by sharing one’s own experiences
- Sharing information about resources and social activities
- Locating local support groups
Work to move people, primarily those with developmental disabilities, out of institutions and back into their home communities.